Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Werkin calves Part 2

So here is a calf cradle.  It is actually one my parents had and we bought for our calves.  Since these were a little older we did not throw them.
That's Tall Paul our hired man who is also Orrin's Father's first cousin...true family farm ;)
The calves are pushed one at a time into the cradle until their neck is secured by the head gate(same we use on bigger cattle only....bigger). Then Paul releases the catch and it swings the calf up horizontal.  Then we can band or brand while the calf is immobilized and somewhat still.
See the bars we can release to access the side of the calf.  Pretty handy if I do say so myself.  My job was a pusher.  Getting a calf out of the squeeze pen(a pen that can smaller as more calves leave so there is not room to run and hurt is or the calves.  Down side of a pusher is you will be the dirtiest one with calf poop all down the front of your legs and bruises from the kicks and your feet will hurt from being stepped on.  I love it.
As always we have extra help from Crash and Scooter, even Cuddle and Wally were trying to get in the way as much as possible, that's how farm kids learn though.
Thank you Lord for letting me grow up on a farm and blessing my kids the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Great illustration on how you care for your animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! Love to look in the HPJ for you, STILL the first thing I turn to!

      Delete